2 packets of extra firm tofu, drained and pressed.
3 cups of medium grain rice.
1/4 cup olive oil for frying
1 cup julienned carrots
2 medium size onions
2 tbsp cumin seeds
2 whole heads of garlic
1 tbsp of tomato paste
2 long dry chillies
Handful of slivered almonds
Handful of sultanas or raisins
1 cup of cooked garbanzo beans
salt to taste
Large cast-iron (dutch oven) or bigger
1. Wash the rice until clear, cover with cold water and let it soaks for an hour.
2. Pressed the tofu to release all the liquid. Pat dry and break it in 1 inch chunks or cut it in cubes.
3. Slice onions into thin rings or half-rings.
4. Clean heads of garlic.
5. Heat oil in the dutch oven on high flame, deep-fry the tofu until golden-brown. Fry the onions until golden, stir to prevent onion from burning. Add the tomato paste. Add the carrots, stir. Add 1 tbsp of cumin and dry chili. Then add the sultanas. Stir.
6. Lower the heat to medium, pour 3 cups of hot water, add salt and let it simmer for 20 min. Add garbanzo beans.
7. Turn heat to high. Drain rice, place it on top the tofu and veggies, in one layer, stick the garlic and whole chillies, slivered almonds in it, and carefully pour boiling water over it (place a spoon or ladle on top of the rice to keep the rice in place). Cover the rice with about 1 inch of water, let it boil. Add 2 tsp of salt and 1 tbsp of cumin. As the water on top of the rice boils, make sure it boils evenly. You can you the back of the spoon to make holes around the rice to allow even boiling. Keep in eye on the rice while it’s boiling. Water will reduces completely.
8. Reduce heat to very low, cover tightly with the lid and let it steam 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Carefully mix rice with tofu and carrots. Pile the plov on a large plate. serve with garlic, chilies and thinly sliced tomato-sweet onions-chili-salt salad.