- 1 onion diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 11 oz fresh mushrooms sliced
- 4 tbsp white wine (optional)
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk or cream
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- Fresh thyme leaves and/or parsley (and/or tarragon) chopped
- Serve with brown rice or pasta of choice
- US Customary – Metric
1. Heat oil in a large pan/skillet, add onion and fry for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and fry for a further 1 minute.
2. Now add the mushrooms and fry over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
3. Pour in white wine (optional), vegetable broth, tamari (or soy sauce), and the spice mixture. I love adding nutritional yeast flakes as well but that’s optional! Bring to a boil.
4. Add cornstarch to the plant-based milk or cream (I used canned coconut milk, however, almond milk, oat milk/cream or soy milk/cream is fine too) and stir to dissolve.
5. Pour the milk/cream mixture into the pan and cook on low-medium heat for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens. Taste and adjust seasonings as to your preference.
6. Add fresh thyme leaves and/or parsley and/or tarragon to taste! Enjoy with brown rice or pasta of choice! This creamy mushroom sauce also tastes great over mashed potatoes! Enjoy!