3 Large Onions sliced thin and then quartered
2 tbsp of Vegan Butter
1 1/2 tbsp of Thyme
1 1/2 tbsp of Miso Paste
1/3 cup of Sherry
4 cups Vegan Beef or Vegetable Broth I make mine
2 -3 Slices of thick cut Bread
1 cup Shredded Cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. On med- low heat, saute the Onions in the vegan butter. You want the onions to slowly develop color and flavor and become caramelized.
2. Continue to cook the onions down stirring them every so often. Be patient this entire process will take about 40 – 50 minutes.
3. Once the onions start to take on a little bit of color add in the thyme & pepper and keep cooking them down.
4. Once the onions are a beautiful brown color, add in the sherry and miso paste, Cook for a few minutes before adding in the broth.
5. Turn up the heat slightly, cover the pot and let simmer for 20 -25 minutes. Season with salt if needed.
6. Toast or grill the bread and top with cheese. Stick the bread under the broiler for about 4-5 minutes until bubbily and golden.
7. Place the cheesy bread in the bowl of soup and serve.