1 tsp sriracha
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp neutral cooking oil
1 tbsp cornstarch, plus 1 tsp for sauce
2 tbsp vegan hoisin sauce
1 packet extra-firm tofu, pressed, cut into ¾-inch cubes
¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
6 scallions, chopped
¾-inch piece ginger
1 small garlic clove
1 cup cashews
3 cups baby spinach
1. Transfer the tofu to a large bowl. Toss with 1 tablespoon cornstarch until evenly coated.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the tamari, hoisin sauce, sriracha, maple syrup, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, and 2 tablespoons water. Stir well to combine.
3. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the tofu for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring regularly.
4. Add the scallions and cook one minute more. Grate the garlic and ginger into the skillet and cook for another 30 seconds.
5. Add the cashews and spinach. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the sauce plus 2 tablespoons water. Mix to combine. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until thickened enough to coat the tofu.
6. For oil-free: Bake the coated tofu at 425F. Grate the ginger and garlic into the sauce before adding. Add scallions with sauce.