Recipe (makes 10 buns)
300g [~2 1/2 cups] all-purpose flour (see notes below if using cups)
175ml [3/4 cup] hot boiling water
pinch of salt
1/2lb (250g) green beans, chopped
16oz firm tofu, pressed & mashed
1 small carrot, finely chopped
a handful of chopped cilantro
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, 1 teaspoon salt, a few shakes of white pepper
Other ingredients: oil for cooking, sesame seeds, chopped green onion.
1. To make the dough, mix flour & salt in a large bowl until well combined. Make a well in the middle & pour in hot water. Using a spatula, fold in all flour until a shaggy dough forms with no dry spots of flour in the bowl (if it does, add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time). Transfer flour to a cleaned surface & knead until a smooth dough forms, about 10mins. Cover with a damp towel & rest for 30 mins.
2. Meanwhile, place tofu in a cheesecloth bag & wring out all the liquid. Saute chopped green beans with 1 teaspoon oil in a pan for about 1-2 mins. Add green beans into a bowl along with tofu, carrot & seasoning ingredients. Mix well & divide the mixture into 10 portions & form it into a patty-like shape.
3. When ready, dust flour on the surface, roll dough into a log & divide into 10 equal balls.
4. To assemble, take one dough, flatten it with your palm & roll into a wrapper, about 4.5 inches diameter by keeping the middle part thicker Place one filling patty in the middle & pleat to seal. Dab the smooth side with water then gently press in some sesame seeds.
5. To cook the buns (baked/pan-fried), see comments section👇🏻… 📝Note: To measure flour in the cup, I used the spoon & sweep method. Spoon flour into a standard measuring cup, then level the top with a knife without packing the flour, which I had about ~63g in 1/2 cup.