Try vegan chiles rellenos! a delicious, meat-free meal. These savory and cheesy appetizers are a great way to show off your culinary skills and impress your friends.
3 Poblano Peppers
12 oz vegan cheese
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp avocado oil
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup and 2 tbsp chickpea flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp Kala black salt
1 cup water
Pinch of salt
1. Turn a medium griddle on medium-high heat and roast poblano peppers for about 10 minutes on each side until charred and skin begins to peel.
2. Put steaming hot peppers in a plastic bag and close tightly to allow them to sweat. Leave in bag for 10-15 minutes and then peel the skins using your hands.
3. Using a knife, make a vertical cut from the stem to the tip of the Chile.
4. Fill with vegan cheese, close it back up and secure with 1-2 toothpicks.
Blend tomatoes, onion, cornstarch, garlic, salt and pepper in blender until smooth. Heat a large pan on medium heat and add your “salsa” to the pan, cook until it thickens. Turn off pan and set aside.
1. Add all dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix well.
2. Add water and incorporate well using a whisk. Whisk well until you create a smooth batter.
3. Heat a medium pan with oil. Dip each pepper into the batter. Hold over batter for a few seconds to let excess batter drip off. Place in hot oil for about 5 minutes on each side until golden crispy.
4. After both sides are golden, place on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
5. Serve with tomato sauce and a side or beans, yum!