2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
¼ tsp salt
Pesto Broccoli and Rice
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium brown onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice, rinsed in sieve until water runs clear
15 oz canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1¾ cups hot veggie broth
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp lemon juice
¼ tsp red chili flakes
1 large head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
½ cup vegan pesto
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C/gas 5.
2. In a 12″ (31 cm) cast-iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Fry the garlic for 30 seconds, then add the breadcrumbs and salt.
3. Stir constantly for 1-2 minutes until the breadcrumbs just start to become golden. Remove the breadcrumbs from the skillet, reserving them for later.
4. In the same skillet, add a tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil. When shimmering, add the onion and sauté until it becomes translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, stirring constantly for 30 seconds.
5. Add in the rinsed rice, beans, hot stock, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and chili flakes. Stir to combine. Turn off the heat and cover the skillet either with a fitted lid, or a piece of foil. If using foil, crimp it around the sides to keep in the steam.
6. Bake for 25 minutes. Moving quickly to minimize steam loss, add the broccoli evenly over the top of the rice and place the lid or foil back on. Bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, drizzle in the pesto and stir it in as you fluff the rice.
7. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top and, leaving the lid off, place the skillet back in the oven under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, keeping an eye on it to prevent burning. Serve immediately!