Makes: 30 dumplings
30 dumpling wrappers
2 cups of cabbage, finely chopped
1/2 cup of chives, finely chopped
1 cup of firm tofu, finely diced
6-8 Shitake mushrooms, soaked & diced
1 tablespoon of minced ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon mushroom stock powder
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoon cooking oil and 1 tablespoon for cooking
1. Prepare, chop and all the vegetables & seasonings into a large bowl. Mix everything together.
2. Assemble the dumplings: set up a little dish filled with water. Use your finger to dip it in the water and moisten the edges of one side of the wrapper.
3. Add 2 teaspoons of filling into the centre of the wrapper. Then fold the sides of the wrapper together a press to create a semi-circle shape. Create 5 – 6 pleats along the edges. Repeat with remaining wrappers & filling.
4. Pan fry the dumplings: Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in nonstick pan on medium-high heat. Arrange 10-12 dumplings in the pan such that they do not overlap. Fry for 2 minutes until the bottoms are golden.
5. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Pour in ¼ cup water into the side of the pan (be careful as the oil may splatter). Cover the pan with a lid & allow dumplings to steam until the water evaporates, about 3-5 mins.
6. Remove the lid & increase the heat to medium-high. Fry for 2 more mins, until bottoms are brown & crisp.
7. If you want to make more, work in batches, adding another tablespoon of oil and ¼ cup water for each batch.